15 Facts About Food You Can’t Miss
Food is what makes this world go round. There are some who eat to live, while there are some who live to eat. Though food is such an integral part of our lives, yet very few actually know the nitty-gritty’s of the food world. Following are some interesting facts on food, collected from all over the world, that is surely going to take you by surprise.
1. Apples belong to the rose family, as do pears and plums.
2. The most expensive pizza in the world costs $12,000 and takes 72 hours to make.
3. Store bought 100% “real” orange juice is 100% artificially flavoured.
4. If improperly prepared, Fugu, or puffer fish, can kill you since it contains a toxin 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide.
5. Coconut water can be used as blood plasma.
6. Samosa, the famous Indian snack, did not originate in India. It has Persian origin.
7. Ketchup was used as a medicine in the 1800s to treat diarrhoea, among other things.
8. Honey is made from nectar and bee vomit.
9. Apples float in water, because 25% of their volume is made of air.
10. The most popular carrots used to be purple.
12. Pumpkins are usually labelled as vegetables but they contain seeds and are technically fruit.
13. The surface of each eggshell can contain as many as 17,000 tiny pores.
14. Chocolate chip cookies were actually made by accident when the chocolate in the cookie did not melt properly.
15. Pineapples are actually not a single fruit but a group of berries that have fused together.