Uganda Community in The Netherlands
Stichting Pearl of Africa was established in November 2003 to cater for the Uganda community in the Netherlands and to promote Uganda in Europe and the rest of the world.
To see a well educated, disciplined and better informed Ugandan community in the Netherlands and a better-known poverty-free, peaceful and democratic Uganda in the eyes of the world in general, and the Dutch society in particular.
To encourage Ugandan immigrants to integrate into society within the framework of the Dutch government policy and to work towards the promotion and development of human rights, democracy and gender justice in Uganda.
Core values (P.E.A.R.L)
People-centred partnerships – we believe in working in partnership with communities whose interests we serve and in alliance with like-minded organisations
Excellence – we seek to excel
Accountability Transparency – accountable to our membership, the communities we work with and to our financing partners.
Regionalism - value and foster the spirit of regionalism as a strategic alliance harnessing the strengths residing in countries of the region.
Looking out for Gender justice and diversity – we respect diversity and promote equity in our organisation and work.
Membership is free and now stands at over 1000 and is continuously growing. More than 50% of the members are women. Its membership is drawn from Ugandan immigrants; Ugandan students; friends of Uganda; and other nationalities of Ugandan origin; Rwandans, Sudanese, Congolese, Kenyans, Tanzanians, Burundians etc. Pearl of Africa has also started accepting Ugandans living in Uganda as members. The membership includes human rights and gender advocates.
- Mobilizing over 1000 members
- Social Networking: Yahoo Groups, Facebook
- www.pearlofafrica.nl website
- Annual General meetings since 2005
- Education, Integration, Employment and Remittances workshops
- Kwakoe participation 2005 and 2007
- Support of Uganda Kobs football team 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Advised on legal procedures of several asylum seekers
- Promote Uganda Musicians and artists in Netherlands
UKEA, GLARO, Sudanese Forum, Nedas, Budnet, Mama Watoto, Mambo Entertains
Dutch organisationss; Oxfam-NOVIB, VON, SVO, Kerkinactie, NCDO, ICCO, Cordaid, SMS, SNV, BBO, DFD
- Engaging the Dutch Parliament
- Participating in the Derde Kamer (Third chamber of Parliament)
- Ugandan Diaspora Organisations.; US, UK, Denmark, Belgium, Sweden, Germany
- Hosting prominent Ugandans; Vice president, ministers, MPs, RDCs, Business people,
musicians, artists, etc
- KIT; guest speaker on Uganda for KLM and Police consultants
- Organising the Gulu Walks in Amsterdam 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009
- Establishing a Nursery and Day Care Centre in Gulu
- Establishing an ICT4Peace Centre for formerly abducted child mothers in Gulu
- Received a monetary award from DFD as one of the 5 Diaspora organizations with BEST PRACTICES
- Uganda Community Leadership recognised as one of the 10 most inspiring Diaspora organizations in the Netherlands (2009) by a platform of Dutch NGOs
Ø Oxfam Novib
Ø Uganda Mission in Brussels
Ø Gulu District Leadership
WM Dudokstraat 43, 1333 LS, Almere
Telelephone +31641468125/+31617048236 The Netherlands
P.O. Box 3725, Tel: +256754601118 Kampala Uganda
KvK registration Number: 30191934
NGO Board Registration No. S.5914/9626
Bank A/C Numbers: ING: 4501447; ABN AMRO: 5687628; STANBIC: 0140027081701