Friday, April 9, 2010

East African Show Live in Amsterdam disappoints!



After the curtain raisers, Radio and Weasle took to the stage at 1.00am


Tribulations of being a leader when things don’t go right

Ali Balunywa, in Amsterdam

The highly billed Easter Show in Amsterdam took place on Monday instead of Sunday as was announced over the last 4 months. The announcement that has been running on the Pearl of Africa Forum, Face Book and radio connect inviting revelers to a newly refurbished Café de Legmeer to the Two Thousand and Ten Easter Holiday cerebration (sic) representing (sic): Radio and Weasel, Princess Juliana Kanyomozi and Ray C from Tanzania. An array of new DJs was also prominently displayed on the colorful poster. The price in bright colors was 25Euro, but added “presale” in a not so bright colour. The time given was 21.00 to 5.00 in the morning.


The Poster announcing the show

Pearl of Africa did not disappoint. It performed its usual duty of reaching over 800 people through their forum all the time we were called upon regarding publicity. Of course it is free. We however requested the organizers to link us with the artists for an interview for our newly reloaded website: www.pearlofafrica.nl. The interview failed before, during and after the show, as had been promised. We were however fortunate to speak to Juliana on phone who promised to pass on her email address through the promoter. We hadn’t received it at the time of completing this article.

Most revelers went to the venue early. I found some of them at the gate complaining. They had prepared 25 Euro which was the figure given, and at the gate they were being asked for 30Euro. That was the beginning of my nightmare. I was insulted for cheating the patrons because of my interest in profits. My denial that I was not part of the organization fell on deaf ears. I tried to explain that I invited them using our forum, but they wouldn’t listen, saying after all how can I give a free service!

I did not see much change in the hall that had been advertised as refurbished. The only refurbishment was the price of drinks, which doubled from the previous time. Again I was a victim of insults from revelers who asked me why I had invited them to a place so far off, and then doubled the price of drinks after ripping them off at the gate! That moment I was called at the gate to pay for my daughter whom I had promised entrance fee. After paying, one of the organizers saw me, but pretended he hadn’t and he turned back and hurried inside.

I went after him and told him that I was not looking for any favors or free ticket since I always pay my way all the time despite, being the person responsible for the attendance of 75% of the people that turn up. Out of embarrassment, he sneaked away without answer.

The artists came on stage at about 1.00 am. Gudlyfe crew of Radio and weasel were the first and performed for about one hour. Juliana came next, though her performance was under an hour. After that it was disco music. Patrons assumed the artists would return on stage, but that was not to be.


Juliana Kanyomozi entertained Amsterdammers for under one hour

I decided to go around asking the people what they thought of the show. One Ugandan elder had this to say:

“…ekyakolebwa kiza wansi obulingi n'ekigenderelwa kye'ekivulu, obutaba ku kigambo ky’omutesitesi, entry 25 yet was 30, RayC as part of the crew was not..., Hygienically toilets were in filth instead of the standard care expected, no, oh no! Tampon bin was not there..,under play of the artistes' time on stage and to be of good cheer by attendants reverent of Ugandans known prestige”. (sic)

In short he complained of the entry fee, absence of Ray C, dirty toilets and short time the artists performed. I was later to speak to the hostess of Mr. Johns and Mrs. Deborah Kiwanuka who came from Sweden. They were appalled by the ambience of the hall and the standard of the show. According to Deborah, Ugandans in Sweden would not go to such a place for a concert!

As I was going around talking to people, one reveler brought me a group of Tanzanians who were complaining loudly. They claimed we had taken them for a ride, by using of their celebrity singers, Ray C on the posters inviting people for the show. She never appeared on the stage, and no organizer bothered to explain the anomaly! I was cornered since these were not Ugandans whom I could explain the position. I could only apologize on behalf of the organizers and claim Ray C was delayed from Sweden where she had her first show.

Lastly came the mother of all disappointments. The concert was supposed to continue up to 5.00am. However almost 2 hours before that, patrons who for any reason went out were not allowed back inside. Then after 3.00am came the announcement that the show had ended and everyone should leave the hall. Patrons who had parked their cars at the hall were lucky, when they were asked to leave the hall; they were able to drive off. However, there were those who had requested to be picked up at 5.00am. They came to me and asked to stay in the hall at least until their transport arrived. The hall owners could not hear of it. They sent away their customers who were outside the hall. There was too much bitterness. I left my transport to take some people to Amsterdam as revelers were complaining that I was running away from my responsibility.

The organizers were no were to be seen. They had left their customers to fend for themselves. By 5.30 am, we were only about 4 people left and we decided to walk to the bus park to take public transport. We didn’t know the way well, got lost here and there, but we finally made it. There was a bus going to Schiphol airport, which we took and at the airport jumped onto trains to our homes.

Our society is submissive and rarely complains, but on this occasion it seemed to be too much for them. Organizers must do a number of things to regain public confidence. For example:

- Tickets should only be sold at the gate at the announced price

- In case of any non show up of an artist, an appropriate apology and explanation should be made

- The owners of the hall should keep to their word and close at the agreed time

- Drinks should not be same price as in Amsterdam

- Organizers should leave only after the last person has left

The executive of Pearl of Africa has decided that commercial advertisements using their forum should be paid for in future in order to dissociate Pearl of Africa from organizers of such concerts. This will always be spelt out clearly in the advertisements.

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...