Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ssenga Sheikh Joweria Aliza

The last meeting with my ssenga, July 2008

Lately, I have taken an interest in our clan and I am documenting its history. In August 2010, I had the opportunity to interview 3 senior uncles and an aunt. They are spread throughout all the districts of Busoga. (I was in Jinja, Kamuli, Luuka and Iganga districts) I decided to talk to a few of them at a time. Ssenga Aliza Joweria was on the list of those to be talked to.

However, that was not to be. I took much longer with her senior sister at Mutai, near Jinja than I intended. I decided to postpone going to her place to this December when I travel home. Her home is in Kabukye, off the Jinja Kamuli road.

That was not to be. Yesterday when I talked to my sister, Asha, she gave me the bad news that she died 2 weeks ago! This is one of the few deaths that I didn’t learn about for all that long, considering the fact that she was a darling of all of us. In most cases, I who lives abroad sometimes informs the ones in Uganda over the loss of relatives!

Ssenga Aliza

Anyhow, the late Ssenga Sheikh Joweria Aliza was born on 2nd July 1925 at Bute. Her mother was called Zainabu Namulondo of the Mukose clan. Our grandfather used to record all births and deaths of his children. I am privileged to have a copy of most of his writings, letters, receipts, children’s school reports etc. She was one of over 50 children.

I last saw her way back in July 2008 when I visited her at her house in Kabukye. My sister Liz and late brother Billy accompanied me. It was a surprise visit and we found her having lunch. It was cassava and katunkuma- (bitter peas?). She shared her lunch with us and I really enjoyed the tasty cassava given the flatness of our cassava here!

My further research on our family will reveal why she was called a sheikh.

May the almighty rest her soul rest in peace.


Ali, late Ssenga and Liz at her house in Kabukye

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...