Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Public transport experience in Kampala

Boda boda taxis in Kampala (Monitor Photo)

I had made an appointment for 2.00pm with a friend on Lumumba Avenue in Kampala in the first week of January. By 1.30 pm the driver had not come to pick me as earlier arranged. I decided to use public means in order not be late.

I jumped on a taxi at Bugolobi taxi stand. I bought the day’s newspapers to read on the way. In the taxi all my neighbors asked for a copy to read. I remained with the New Vision, but even then, another neighbor across asked for some pages. From 3 newspapers I bought, I was left with only a couple of pages from one.

I asked the conductor to allow me jump out at Cham towers (former UCB). I paid the equivalent of 30Euro cents for a distance of 6 kilometers. (It would cost here Euro 2.50!) On getting out of the taxi, some protruding metal on the seat ripped through my jeans! It made a 6-centimeter hole.

Lumumba Avenue is a distance from the city centre, and it is not served with taxis or buses. In order not to be too late, I jumped on a motorcycle taxi and directed the rider to my destination. He rode like the devil was chasing us! I promised to double the going rate if he could reduce the speed.

Meanwhile, I felt some heat in my left foot, but I assumed it was the heat of the motorcycle. As we were approaching the destination, I saw smoke coming from my foot. I asked him to stop for me to check. My sneakers were on fire! I had placed my foot on the exhaust pipe. Instead of the fellow sympathizing with me, he rudely asked me why I did not put it on the footrest! I paid my double amount and walked the rest of the way.

I could have of course called for a special hire taxi, paid Shs 20,000/- (Euro6.00) and arrived in time. But I ended up being 30 minutes late, lost my jean trousers and shoe…all in one day using public transport!

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...