Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Gulu Internet experience

While in Gulu I was directed to their newest and best Internet café in town. I visited them and asked for an hour of Internet use. An hour costs shs 1,500/- (50 Euro cent equivalent!). I was allocated a place and I tried to log on my Yahoo. It was possible to establish how much time each action took by looking at the remaining time of my allocation. It took me 15 minutes to open yahoo, another 15 minutes to log on and 10 minutes to open my first email!

I complained to the supervisor and he added me 30 minutes. Out of the 200 emails in my inbox, I was able to read not more than 10. I paid for an extra hour, but the exercise was so painful that I decided to abandon the money and go to bed instead.

The next day I visited the café at try again early in the morning. It was a bit faster, but the electricity was so unreliable. It kept going off and there was no back up. I asked them why they didn’t use a generator and they explained that they owned one, but it was too expensive to run. I sympathized with Internet users who where writing mail or working on some documents. Once power goes off, all work is lost then they had to go through that painful experience of starting up the computer, opening the Internet, logging on…..and so forth.

People of Gulu, you will be in my prayers for the seacom cable to get there to enable you enjoy faster Internet speeds. Good luck

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...