Thursday, July 1, 2010

Independence day; Cool affair in Rwanda

President Paul Kagame of Rwanda

Ali Balunywa in Kigali

Yesterday 30 June 2010, I made an appointment with colleagues to meet at their offices at 12.00 pm to discuss some issues. I was also asked to attend an editorial meeting at 9.00 am. A third appointment was to take place later in the afternoon with a high-ranking government official.

This morning 1 July 2010 I struggled to get out of bed. My alarm goes of at 6.30 every morning. This time instead of switching it off, I adjusted it to snooze; where it goes off every 5 minutes. Somehow, I managed to get out of bed at 7.30 am. I showered brushed my teeth and checked my mail and skimmed through the online publications I subscribe to.

At 8.30 am, I went for downstairs for breakfast. And by the way, I enjoy breakfast every morning. There are different tribes of fruit, juice and coffee of course. I normally eat pineapple, mango, pawpaw, avocado, passion fruit and bananas.

I rushed to the office after breakfast. I found it dull with very few people. When I asked why the newsroom was so empty, I was told, today was a public holiday! It was surprising for me because for such a day, flags are put up and there is a sense of national joy and events. Shops, banks, kiosks and offices were generally open.

When I asked at the office why there was no formal celebration. I was told Independence Day in Rwanda is a public holiday, but there are no state events or official celebration. He explained that when the Belgians handed power to indigenous Rwandans to manage, that was the beginning of problems. Power was handed over to the majority Hutu, who embarked on prosecuting the Tutsi culminating in their exodus to exile in the neighbouring countries.

However, liberation day 4 July 2010 is just around the corner. It is a day that is celebrated in all Rwanda. It is the day when officially the genocide was brought to an end after the Rwanda Patriotic Army took reigns of power in Kigali. And also a world away, America celebrates its own national day!

On a light note, I was able to go to a bank at 9.00pm on a bank holiday day to transact some business…. hurray!!!

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...