Friday, July 24, 2009

Affluent Opulance in Rwanda!

                                        Planned Mega Residences in Kigali

Ali Balunywa in Kigali, Rwanda

There is no way anyone can deny that Rwanda is on the fast lane development wise. However, in some instances it really is on the fastest lane. In Kigali, the city council and government have done their best to provide organized housing. Roads, drainage, electricity, water and sewerage are put in place before plots of land are allocated 

I don’t know whether it is the French influence or exposure, but the houses that well off Rwandans build can make Hollywood pale in significance. I have not been to Hollywood, but it is always pushed down my throat (or is it optical nutrition) on TV!

I should first warn you that Rwanda is a very expensive city to live in. Its currency is 3 -4 times stronger than Uganda’s, but you find some goods costing the same whether it is Francs or Shillings! An example is the Ninzi Hill Hotel were I stay, a bottle of beer, water or plate of food is the equivalent if bought in Serena Hotel in Uganda! That is how expensive it is.

Well, back to Kigalians pads. After several failed attempts to connect with a long lost friend. We agreed last Tuesday to have lunch together. He promised to pick me at the office at 1.00pm. At about 12.50, he called and asked me to step out that he would be there within 5 minutes.

I waited outside almost 10 minutes, and then I saw him in this state of the art Mercedes Benz car. He waved to me and I went to the car, opened the door and sat. I wouldn’t know the year of manufacture, model…or whatever, but I was impressed. It had all those extras that you wished you had on your ram shackled whatever…you call a car!

As you approach an object be it a car or man or obstacle, it will warn you to slow down. The car can talk to you, can direct you were to go, I don’t know what it can’t do! We cruised on the smooth Kigali roads to one of those new places for the very rich 

We approached a gate and he got some remote control facility from the glove compartment, pointed it at the gate and it slowly opened. Once in, he again pointed at the gate and it closed! We were driving in silence because of my maalo, (backwardness) In the compound were 3 other Mercedes cross-country SUVs parked.

He apologized for taking me through the kitchen, but I was too busy staring! There was this huge American fridge and a modern kitchen and all apparatus that goes with it. Then we continued to the dining room with a table that sits 10 people spaciously. Within the house were arches and several staircases. Out of curiosity, I begged to use the bathroom. 

I could have as well rested in the bathroom! It was clean, nice smelling and really welcoming. I washed my hands and dried them with the towel provided. It was so inviting, even as I really don’t use towels unless I am at home. 

We were in a domestic environment, but there was this buffet of steamed bananas, rice, Irish potatoes, mashed cassava, fish fillet, roast chicken, beef stew and plenty of vegetables. We shared the lunch with 2 of his daughters who according to their conversation seemed to be studying in America! His wife had gone upcountry and was therefore unable to share with us lunch. 

After lunch we had some fresh fruit and retired to one of the 3 living rooms. I asked him how many bedrooms this massive house had and he told me that there were 8 self contained rooms, and a couple of others could be converted if need arose. When I asked if he bought or built, he assured me, the whole design was his, he built it right from the first brick.

Did I hear someone say 70% of the Rwandans live below poverty level!

 

 

 

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...